Thursday, December 08, 2005

On the first day of Christmas



Just to let you all know today is the 8th of December officially the first day of Christmas for me! I don't know if this is an Irish thing or where the date or tradition comes from but in my house anyway Christmas does not begin until today & you're not allowed to put up any decorations or give any cards until this date or it's bad luck (at least according to my superstitious mother!) As far as I've been told this used to be the general rule in shops & everywhere all over Ireland - but now as everywhere, commercial Christmas often starts before Halloween!


So does anyway else adhere to this rule or have a different date when Christmas is officially allowed to be celebrated?

I can't find any reason for this date and the only religious connection I could find to this date relates to Buddhism - “
It recalls the day in 596 BC when the Buddha achieved enlightenment” so I don't think that's where the date comes from, but Ireland was traditionally a farming pagan country so I suspect it may have more to do with that...

So anyway whatever the reason Christmas has officially begun...let the Christmas parties begin!

2 comments:

kent said...

From what I remember, we couldn't play christmas music until december 1st at home. We usually got the tree about 2 weeks before, although it depended a lot on how lazy we were because it involved hiking up the mountain and cutting down a tree.

nicholas said...

Me too, Christmas starting date tends to depend on the laziness factor but my mom usually makes us get everything together by Dec 10 but it never realy feels like christmas until school is out / exams are over / I'm drunk from rum and eggnog