Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Stupid Airtel

Hey,
I have a problem I thought somebody might be able to help me with, my mobile is a ‘pay as you go’ Airtel number and just this morning I got a message congratulating me on my updated monthly subscription to hello tunes at the cost of somewhere between Rs 30 –50.
Now, trust me I have never subscribed to any Punjabi tunes I have been offered and don’t want any! (I’m not even sure my phone is high tech enough to accept them!)
So does anyone know how I can get outta this without it costing me anymore money…and on a related note…how annoying are the hundreds of spam text messages these companies send?!

5 comments:

Vladan said...

Don't know about AirTel. I was surprised myself when I realized that I have to renew my Hutch simcard validation EVERY month! 200 Rupees out of which only 50 is added to my credit just to keep the option of sending SMSes and making calls. In my country a card is valid for a year or more once you recharge it, so I thought that by taking a Rp 600-700 package I got my phone expenses during the traineeship solved. Apparently, not. :( Grrrrrrrr!

I hate mobile providers.

kent said...

isn't there a way to sms something like "deact(name of service)" to some number? A little ambiguous, i know, but i would check the website...www.airtel.co.in perhaps?

kent said...

jean...try calling 678 on your phone. You should be able to deactivate it that way.

Then you should switch to hutch cuz you get 2000 sms a month free and other things.

Hope this helps.

Vladan said...

Free... Sure... :) I hate that cheap marketing. :) It's 6 rupees per month to maintain the package and (at least) 199 rupees per month to upkeep your simcard validity.

But still it's not too expensive. If you use only 500 of those "free" SMS, you will be paying 205 : 500 = 0.41 rupees per SMS and you'll have some money for calling.

The point is: It's NOT free! It's cheap. :)

kent said...

Buy a 250 rupee recharge until the 22nd and get full talk time (well, 226 or so) and no validity. It's a great deal if you go for that.