Thursday, September 08, 2005

Japanese Encephalitis

Just got an email from the Risk Management department of my university saying that there has been an outbreak of Japanese Encephalitis in Uttar Pradesh. According to the report the department was referencing, the outbreak has killed approximately 600 people and has reached as far as the National Capital Region. This is a mosquito borne virus, so if anyone is planning a trip to Uttar Pradesh, take every precaution necessary in order to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. As for the risk factor here, nothing was mentioned. My guess is that this disease is centralized in Uttar Pradesh and not likely to spread to this area. But like I said, I'm not an expert. One more tidbit of info...8,000 people have died since 1978 in Uttar Pradesh from Japanese Encephalitis.

1 comment:

Vladan said...

That is an encouraging piece of information I could live without. :) Ignorance is bliss. :) :) :)