Thursday, September 29, 2005

Don't Patronize Me With That Sir Crap!

Just out of curiousity, how many of you guys like being called "Sir"? And for the ladies, what do you get called, "Ma'am"?

I know in Canada, nobody has ever called me sir. I don't think I've ever called anyone sir either.

Sure it's a common term here, but when someone calls me sir, it makes me feel like I'm important or something. I wish the guy at the restaurant would stop calling me sir because, to me, it makes me feel like he is my servant or something along those lines. Strange, ain't it?

What does everyone else think?

2 comments:

Vladan said...

I hate being called sir for the same reasons as Kent, but I do use it sometimes when I talk to an older man I've never been introduced to. For example: "Excuse me, sir..." or "Sir, could you please..." Same goes for madam.

ignacio said...

In Chile, sometimes in restaurants, planes, trains or stores people use to call me Sir (Señor), well... it depends of the restaurant, plane, train class, that's why here for me is normal being a Sir...