Wednesday, September 07, 2005

CYCLE RICKSHAW or PHYCHO RICKSHAW

Do you like rickshaws?

Well, I think you do. Like me, there is nothing better than travelling by rickshaw during the evenings. You can feel the fresh breeze in your face…something that is hard to find here in Chandigarh during the day.

But you have to consider some risks when you are in the infamous “Indian Helicopter….” Most of us ride them everyday, with absolutely no problems (except inhaling diesel exhaust). I guess it was only a matter of time because I had quite the adventure while going from 15 to 38.

We said to the driver that we would pay 15 Rs “only.” He replied with “Ok,” and the typical Indian head movement.

When we were arriving he tried to change the route, so we said to him, go straight, don’t turn. He shouted some words in Hindi, sounding really angry and upset. We finally arrived in sector 38 and we paid the 15 Rs. He then got really mad and refused to accept it and suddenly he left. “What a freak,” we thought, “no concept of business.”
Well we went into 38-house and stayed there for a while. When we left to go to 36-C, the freaky driver appeared behind us, riding his Indian Helicopter and looking at us like, “I will kill you guys….”

He disappeared for a little while. I was riding my bike with Luisa on board, talking away, when the guy appeared again, but this time with a stone in his hands, furious, and looking to do some damage. I said to Luisa, “Let’s pay him 20 Rs ‘only.’ That’s what he wants.” I then started walking towards him, showing the 20 Rs. Unfortunately, he was coming in my direction with the stone and an evil look on his face. All I could do was to extend my arm with the bills and close my eyes, waiting to be hit on my head. Luckily, nothing happened, so I ran back to my bike and rode home as fast as I could.

Now, if you find a rickshaw driver who doesn’t accept your money, be careful. He will wait for you and then probably try to hit you with a stone, some mangos, chapati or, if the situation is really bad, may try to trample you.

1 comment:

Vladan said...

Oh, Nacho, you drama-queen! :)