Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Asking for directions...

No matter where you live, where you are from, or where you are, as much as guys (and i'm sure girls too) hate it, there comes a point when driving around that you need to ask somebody for directions.

This isn't so bad when you're in a foreign country and you have to ask for directions all the time, however in your own country i find i'm a bit more reluctant. And so once you've decided that you will swallow your pride, and ask a passerby, you then face the challenge of finding someone who looks suitable and up to the challenge of your impending question.

So, i can only wonder what the Indian lorry drivers were thinking yesterday when, driving through sector 36, they asked Jean, Nacho and I for dierctions. I forget what they asked exactly, and it was in Hindu, but we were able to understand what they were asking. Unfortunately we had no chance to reply because once they saw we were foreigners, the driver looked at his passenger, the passenger looked at the driver, we looked at each other, and everyone just had to laugh.

At least it was something more original than "what is your country?" and i guess we are looking a bit more local now! I think the main reason was Nacho's rickshaw driver scarf, and the matresses Nacho and Jean were carrying at the time.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Well this is not the first time it’s happened to me, personally I think since moving to 38, I’m integrating myself in the neighbourhood so much so that I now look Indian…since the move (2 weeks tomorrow!) I’ve had this question 4 times…I dunnae ken??!

Unknown said...

That is pretty sweeet! I wanna look like a local! Apparently in Dharamsala, I look so much like a Tibetan that someone asked me for help in a Tibetan store.